The party line of lockdown has been to take the time now to declutter the house, but when was the last time that you went through your clothes in your wardrobe and got rid of the clothing you’ve been keeping? Almost everyone out there has items in their wardrobe that they haven’t worn in years and yet keeps hold of them “just in case” they suddenly resemble their 16 year old selves and can squeeze back into them! It’s not healthy and there is no better time than now to get that decluttering done.
Sometimes, you need to just hire the skip bin and just let go of the stuff you’ve been hanging onto. Not only will you feel better for it, you’re going to clear out so much space you didn’t realise was being taken up by stuff that you hadn’t looked at in years. Below, you’ll find five things that you need to clear out of your wardrobe today.
- Guilty Clothing. You bought the jeans to fit you when you lost weight, the tags are still on them and you can still visualize yourself in them. And it makes you feel guilty that you spent money on them! The thing is, you cannot keep things that make you feel less than fantastic, and these are some of those things. Those high quality and designer pieces are still wonderful pieces of clothing, but that doesn’t mean that you have to keep them. Let them go and see how quickly you’re going to be able to enjoy yourself.
- No Lifestyle Match. There are some wardrobes that have items in them that match you from ten years ago – but you’re not that person anymore. Are you still rocking the gypsy skirts and vests? Probably not! It’s okay to let these go and start wearing the clothes that suit your current personality instead. Discard these things from the wardrobe and smile at the person you used to be while you do it.
- Things That Don’t Fit. Everything in your wardrobe should fit the current body you are rocking, whether you are bigger than you’d like to be or not. What use is it to you to hold onto clothing from pre-children when your entire body has changed now? It’s time to get rid of the things that you don’t wear anymore and that are ill fitted – especially bras and underwear! You need to change your body to suit the wardrobe you have – into the skip bin!
- The Basics. You need to get rid of all the things that you keep as “staples” if they’re not making you feel great. Every item of your clothing should be making you feel good and if it’s not, it’s bye-bye basics. You should keep a capsule wardrobe, but it should be current to you.
- Things You Don’t Like. Stop wearing anything that doesn’t feel like you. You need to wear things that make you feel excited, not upset that you have “nothing to wear”. You do – you just need to choose from the clothing that you already have!