Just as the name says, this magic bean cake is well sort of magic. Can you believe that this choclatey yummy looking cake is gluten free and best of all it’s made using a can of red kidney beans. Yep, that’s right a can of red kidney beans.
Now there are plenty of recipes floating around the internet and there are even ones for your Thermomix if you own one of those but for this one I just used my food processor. This recipe if by Clever Cook Sarah Wong and is recommended by Julie Masci form New Life Nutrition.
- 400g red kidney beans drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup of Stevia or raw sugar ( I reduced this to about a 1/4 cup and used a tablespoon of pure maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees.
- Blend in a food processor kidney beans, water, vanilla extract, coconut oil and 1-2 eggs. Process until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend till smooth.
- Pour into lined and lightly greased ( I used coconut oil) cake tin or cupcake tin.
- Bake 40 mins for cake.
- Bake 20 mins for cupcakes.
- Yum! Serve with icing sugar.
Have you heard of this cake before. It was super easy to make and let me tell you the kids couldn’t get enough of it. I was secretly smiling to myself.